Monday, January 4, 2010

Money Matters

It's the first day back at work, and already I'm plagued by money matters. Credit card payment, insurance payment, saving for trips, gym memberships-- it was disheartening to realize that I didn't have enough money to do it all.

When it came down to a choice between paying for a gym membership and setting aside money for a last beach trip with a friend before she goes off to live in another country, I chose the friend. Never mind if I may not have a beach-ready body in two weeks, what matters is I get to spend some time with good friends before life begins to change for all of us.

Still, I couldn't help but think today of all the things I could be doing if money was not an issue. Travelling wherever and whenever I wanted. Buying anything I wanted and needed at the snap of a finger. Joining that gym. Writing off someone's debts because I don't need the money anyway. Whoever invented money may have inadvertently invented discontent.

Anyway, I'm trying not to think about it too much, even as I begin to tighten my belt for these next few months. Hopefully that belt gets tight enough to give me those abs I need to wear a two-piece bikini with confidence. Haha, as if.

No comments:

Post a Comment