Wednesday, December 24, 2008

taking another stab at it

"Why don't you have a blog?" my boss asked one day.

I opened my mouth to reply, but the words didn't come automatically. Quite honestly, the question had me stumped: why didn't I have a blog? I used to have one on Livejournal, and it was filled with every single detail of my life. Aside from the URL bearing the anniversary of a failed relationship and bad memories of The Ex (I wouldn't advise posting lyrics over Livejournal as a way of breaking up with someone and declaring that you're through with his sh*t), Livejournal found its demise with the arrival of Multiply.

I tried migrating my entries from Livejournal to Multiply, then tried blogging on Multiply. But as the relationships on my Multiply ranged from family, friends, officemates, former classmates, and acquaintances, I realized that my blog entries were not for everyone after all. The thrill that once came with broadcasting thoughts and opinions into the vastness of cyberspace was dying. In its place came a wariness about who was reading what about my life. And so I stopped blogging, no longer compelled to let everyone in on what I was thinking, feeling, and currently doing.

That was the most I could tell my boss: "I decided I was tired of broadcasting every detail of my life." But the truth? Ah, maybe the truth is that I lost that blogging feeling-- that is, to find it in me to write coherently, to express opinions and talk about something more substantial than memes and the boredom that rules my day.

Inspired by a fellow writer-friend who is taking another stab at blogging, here I am, opening a new blog in a new site, strangely named after the old one. Maybe because that's really what blogging is to me: the thoughts that move somewhere between dreams and reality. Hopefully this blog will awaken the deeper side of me and my writing, the side that longs to say more than the latest fashion trends and great gift ideas, the side that wants to do more than encourage people to grab a copy of their favorite magazine, now available in newsstands and bookstores nationwide. The phrase comes automatically, as my fingers fly across the keyboard. This blog hopes to break that monotony, that droning that comes with being a slave of the workforce.

While I don't promise to write anything profound, I do promise to go beyond how bored I am about my day or how work is being a bitch, and instead try to pin down my thoughts, my opinions, my desires, and yes, my dreams.

Welcome to my world. Again.

2 comments:

  1. You write really well.

    I'm glad you started blogging again. Now what we have to work on is getting people to read our blogs.

    I find it strangely comforting when perfect strangers read my blog, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've actually never had strangers read my blog because most of my LJ entries were for friends only, while I limited my Multiply blog to my contacts. This will be the first time that my blog is open (which is probably why I'm refraining from naming people). :)

    ReplyDelete