Saturday, December 27, 2008

An attempt to make New Year's Resolutions

While New Year's Eve is days away, reading Getting Things Done is encouraging me to just jot everything down as they come. If I don't do it now, I will probably forget about it. So here I am, typing away on my cousin's laptop as I wait for the party upstairs to fill up with people I actually know (and this laptop is pretty fun to type in!).

So, when the New Year comes in, I will...

- Try not to use "chorva", "chenes", "eklavu", and other baklese (isn't that what they call gay lingo now?) to substitute for other words. I realized that these words have become my lazy, easy way out of really thinking about things. It's easier to say "Pass me the chorva" than to think of that chorva as salt or pepper. My vocabulary is in danger of shrinking. And so, I will refuse the temptation to call things and people "chorva" and "chenes".

- Try something new at least once a month. This includes buying a piece of clothing I don't have in my wardrobe, eating at a new place, trying a new dish, and other things I don't normally do. It has become so easy to get stuck in a rut, and the most glaring evidence that it's detrimental to one's health is the state of my feet and lower back. Because I've been walking around in flats for years, refusing to wear heels, my back pain has increased and the arches of my feet hurt all the time. It's my body begging me to please add some height to my walk. And so I've succumbed, forcing myself to tolerate being in heels all day but not every day in an attempt to improve my posture. And it hasn't been so bad, which then proves that trying new things won't kill you after all.

- Come to work early every day. As I have discovered this December, coming in adik-early (as I like to call it) has its benefits: I get to work on things that require absolute silence and I get to take my time getting into the groove of things. Rather than trying to hit the ground running everyday, I have time to settle in, clear my head, and relax before the day really gets started. Coming in early also leads me to my next resolution, which is...

- Set aside at least an hour every day to clean up, process, and organize my things/files. Because I really want to lead an organized and stress-free life, Getting Things Done stresses the importance of lists, keeping your calendar and filing system up-to-date, current, and dynamic, and basically taking the time out to collect, process, organize, and review everything before you decide on what to do. (I swear I love this book.)

- Make it a point to keep the schedule I thought up: go home early twice a week, go on a date twice a week, and have a Me-Day once a week. 'Nuff said.


To be continued, it's time to join the rest of civilization upstairs. Have you thought of your own New Year's Resolutions? :)

1 comment:

  1. Love your new year's resoulutions. WIll blog about mine also. :) I want to come in early na rin lagi. It's just a matter of discipline.

    Haha, and ditto on the chorva thing! :)

    ReplyDelete