Thursday, September 17, 2009

Spotlight: "The Pact: A Love Story"

For once, I am speechless.

I started reading The Pact: A Love Story by Jodi Picoult last Saturday, and I had trouble putting it down since then. I literally had to force myself to stop reading. But this time, I can't summarize the novel or even give my own thoughts about it. All I can truly say is it was a page-turner that truly kept me hooked and wanting to know what would happen next. It kept me at the edge of my seat up to the very end, and there was no way to predict how things would end.

Jodi Picoult is truly a gifted writer, as this is the second time that she has kept me hooked on her novel. Granted, this is only the second book I've read --the first being My Sister's Keeper-- but I think that she has a way of really unravelling the story as you read, and this is something that may hold true in all her novels. At the turn of every page, you always feel like you're discovering something new, that this new bit of information is important, that all things will only find resolution in the end. She also has a gift of putting to words such complex emotions, making the reader feel how conflicted her characters truly are.

In short, The Pact: A Love Story was one of the few books that really kept me entranced all the way to the end. I'd recommend it, but only to people who don't believe that all things end with a Happily Ever After. That's not how real life is, and Jodi Picoult tries to keep it as real as it can get.


Three books to go: Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason, Prizes, and Good In Bed. I wonder which one I should read over the long weekend. I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment