Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Spotlight: "Getting Rid of Matthew"

I should have blogged about this right after reading it. Now that I'm so into Jodi Picoult's The Pact, I'm having trouble remembering what this book was about. Hehe.

Getting Rid of Matthew was actually a risky buy, if you think about it. I got attracted to the title, intrigued by the story, and obsessed with finding a copy of it in every Fully Booked branch I visited. Seeing a lone copy on the shelf made me believe that it was mine for the taking. But really, it could've been a bad investment-- like any other thing in life, it could've gone either way.

But as I read on about Helen The Mistress, Sophie the Wife, and Matthew the Cheater, I found myself drawn in by the story. Helen has been with Matthew for four years and --although she has been begging him for years to leave his wife-- is slowly realizing that there is life outside of Matthew, that she does have a chance to really make something of her life this late in the game. But just when she decides that she doesn't want Matthew anymore, he finally tells his wife Sophie everything, breaks up his family, and decides to move in with Helen. The rest of the novel focuses on how Helen intends to get rid of Matthew.

What I found most interesting about this novel wasn't how she planned to get rid of Matthew, but the friendship she forged with Sophie under false pretenses. I loved the twist that Helen actually seeks out Sophie and they truly hit it off, even if Sophie has no idea who Helen really is. It makes me wonder how much messier life would be if mistresses actually went out to befriend the clueless wives. The complications of this friendship provided the novel with a lot of heart.

Of course, I won't give away the ending, but suffice to say that I enjoyed this book and wanted to go back to a couple of passages before moving on to my next book. The fact that I still remember the names of the protagonists also says something about how much I liked this book.


I'm down to four books, and I'm already two-thirds into The Pact. More on that when I'm done with it. Ciao for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment