Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Oops, I did it again

I should really be banned from entering bookstores, especially Fully Booked in Bonifacio High Street.

A recent side trip there had me walking out of the store with not one, but two new books. That brings my current reading list up to twenty. A fellow book hoarder lover likes to justify, "Twenty is a very nice, rounded number. Just like thirty and forty!" I'll stop at twenty, thankyouverymuch.

So what were the books I just had to buy?

After reading My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult, I got curious about her other books and decided to do my research. Of all the stories, I found this one the most intriguing. The Pact is the love story between two teenagers whose families have been friends since they were born. What happens when the parents find the girl dead and the boy holding the gun that killed her?

A colleague pointed out that Jodi Picoult loves to talk about moral dilemmas. It makes me think that all her stories are built on "the boat-is-sinking/house-is-burning, you can only save either your parent-or-spouse/spouse-or-child. Who would you save?" Or something like that. Anyway, add the intriguing premise to the fact that this book was so hard to find. And when I finally saw it in Fully Booked, it was in a trade paperback version with nice paper, the ones with jagged edges that look like they've been cut by hand. I wasn't about to let it go.

I came across this book on one of my previous trips to Fully Booked, when I go through the aisles from A to Z. I thought it would be an entertaining read as the premise is that Matthew has been her lover for years, but now that he's leaving his wife for her, she realizes that she doesn't want him anymore. So as the title suggests, how does she get rid of him?

Also read up on Amazon reviews and it's supposed to be a fun read. Why did I buy it? Well, first, because it was the last copy on the shelf, and I've been keeping an eye out for it for months. Second, because I realized that majority of what's left in my book list is pretty heavy stuff, so I may need something to balance that out. I know, I know, excuses excuses.


So now my reading list is up to twenty. I'm currently reading Raising the Peaceable Kingdom, but I haven't gotten far because I've been watching CSI more often, playing Restaurant City on Facebook every night, and trying to catch up on precious sleep. Here's hoping I finish all twenty books before the year ends! (Hey, I'm just being realistic here!)

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete