Monday, March 30, 2009

belated musings on turning 26

I realized this morning that I hadn't blogged about turning 26 yet, and the month of March is coming to an end. It made me think of how I spent my 25th year, and sadly I was drawing up blanks. I couldn't think of any personal milestones that set this year apart, and all I could think about was a rundown of work-related events that happened in the year.

Add to that today's quote in my Don't Sweat the Small Stuff calendar: 

"When someone asks you how you are, don't emphasize how busy you are. You're an interesting person with many other qualities besides busyness."

For the most part of 2008,  I think I have been guilty of responding to the question "How are you?" with either, "Stressed out..." or "Tired...", both statements punctuated with a heavy sigh. Somehow, work became a massive force that sucked out all my energy, leaving life to just happen within the smallest cracks and crevices. The rest of my life became little moments that got me through each day with my sanity intact.

I was prepared to accept that Year 25 just came and went, almost as though it never existed, when I realized that there was an underlying theme to the year after all: CHANGE.

Year 25 was a year of transitions, of saying goodbye to people I'd known for a while, and hello to people who would make a mark in my life. In 2008 alone, I've had to say...

... goodbye to the two girls in my team whose unique brands of craziness I will always remember and look back to with a big smile. 
... hello to the boss we had waited a year for, and found that she was not only a great mentor, but also a great friend and fellow book hoarder lover.
... hello to one girl who I found soooo incredibly loud and maybe even boisterous, but whose stories and antics I missed once she was gone.
... hello and goodbye to someone whom I first considered a mentor, and ended up considering a good friend.
... hello to one girl who was mysterious and quiet, yet opened up so much towards the end that I've found myself wondering how she's doing now that she's no longer with our team. 
... hello to one girl who is just so bright and bubbly, her optimism and enthusiasm is infectious. She brings such a positive energy to the team, and I feel good to have her around.
... goodbye to one girl who has so much potential, I'm glad that she's finally where she's meant to be.


In terms of work, this was when my area of responsibilities changed and mutated until an entirely new system was implemented. I finally began to explore taking on writing racket, and realized after three years that it could be done after all.

It was the year I "formalized" (in quotes because we didn't exactly formalize it in the "Will you be my girlfriend?" way and we don't celebrate any particular date) my relationship with the most caring, loving, patient, understanding, funny, strong, and trustworthy man I know-- aside from my dad, of course. And I've never been happier to be called a "girlfriend" again.

And finally, it was the year I noticed little changes within me, maybe brought upon by age. It may not be obvious as I continue to attack everything at break-neck speed, but I've slowed down: I think before I speak, I've learned when to hold my tongue, I take deep breaths and let petty concerns go, I let people finish telling a joke even if I've heard it before (and I still laugh as if hearing it for the first time), I resist the temptation to slam things around when I'm angry, I try to listen harder, I ask more questions, I try to smile more often. Yes, I may still have road rage and my occasional outbursts, but for the most part, I think I've mellowed.

Now, I'm on Year 26. Who knows what this year will bring? The only thing I hope for is that I continue to grow in love-- love my family, friends, and boyfriend, love my job, love myself, love life.

Here's to a great year ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment